Dr. Gunther Grathwohl, since Aug. 2012 counsellor for telecommunications and information society, audiovisual media and postal affairs at the Permanent Representation of Germany to the EU in Brussels. Within this period he was responsible for all legislative files negotiated in the Council Working Party on telecommunication and information society as for example European rules on net neutrality, abolishment of EU-wide roaming tariffs or the network and information security Directive. Between 2006 and 2012 he was working for the German ministry of economics and technology, in the Division of European ICT-Policy, dealing i.a. with broadband policy, the review of the legal framework for electronic communication or the Digital Agenda for Europe. Gunther Grathwohl holds a PhD in International Economics and studied economics in Trier, Seville and Bamberg.
With increasing usage of electronic services and digital content, EU is confronted with success of global platforms and networks. What is the way through? What are the pro´s and con´s? What are the positions of strong IT leaders in these questions? EC just announced proposal for update of EU audio-visual rules as well as presented targeted approach to online platforms. The goal of the roundtable is to reflect on these topics and present positions of EU countries, as well as economic challenges and opportunities connected with this approach.
Panellists and introductory speakers:
- Juraj Bárdy, Chief Data Officer
- Dagmar Bošanská, the coordinator of the national strategy for the implementation of the digital single market
- Martin Bailey, acting Head of Digital Single Market Unit, DG CNECT, European Commission
- Pascal Rogard, Counsellor for Telecommunications, Information Society and Postal Services, Permanent Representation of France to the EU
- Gunther Grathwohl, Telecommunications and Information Society, Postal Affairs, Permanent Representation of the Federal Republic of Germany to the EU
- James Waterworth, Vice President, Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA) Europe
- Mette Schiøtz Sørensen, Danish Business Authority